Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Art of Tangled & The Art of Frozen

My first two books I read in 2014! The Art of Tangled and The Art of Frozen are essentially illustrated documentaries of the development of the movies. It contains sketches, drawings, some photos, all used for the concept and design of each of these two movies. While containing these beautiful drawings and photos, the books are separated into chapters that focus on different parts of designing the movie. The are worth your time if you enjoy the movies, or are interested in developing movies, or art.

The Art of Frozen is 160 pages long, with full colored drawings and concept art. It takes you through the process of designing the world of Frozen and the different characters. Did you know when they were originally starting Frozen, Elsa was going to be an evil snow queen with black hair? And she had a very different hairstyle when they switched it to blonde.
One thing I enjoyed about it was learning about developing Elsa and Anna's relationship. When they decided to have them be sisters, they had all the women in the studio with sisters come in and tell them what it was like, and that is how they developed the relationship!
And Elsa doesn't 'shoot snow from her hands', the magic comes from her body and affects the molecules and atoms in the air, changing them to become snow/ice/frost. And there is so much more in the book! But because I don't want to spoil the  movie, that's all I will say. So be sure to read this after you see the movie if you don't want spoilers.

One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In my reviews I will give a rating and a reason for that rating.

       The Art of Frozen is a CLEAN READ

      On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give The Art of Frozen a 3.5



Now, The Art of Tangled has a similar format as The Art of Frozen, however with Tangled the writing is done from a different author. The majority of the writing is still composed of interviews as it is in the Frozen book, but you can tell a difference with this different author. like The Art of Frozen, The Art of Tangled is 160 pages long with full color illustrations. Such an enjoyable read, and because I love love love Tangled, I had the songs going through my head anytime concept art for that song appeared and I just loved it. I enjoyed reading The Art of Tangled more than Frozen, but only by half a point. Tangled's art book had more art in it, and more detail in the development process.
I loved learning where they got inspiration for designing the world of Tangled. In Frozen it was Norway, with Tangled...well, it was interesting. Originally Tangled was going to be a comedic satire on fairytales, but then they went for a more serious direction and was heavily inspired by Rembrandt and his use of light. When that started to get to dark, they needed a new source of inspiration, and so they go to classic Disney. The inspiration for the world of Tangled ended up being Disney! They referenced many of the Disney Renaissance movies (Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella), and they sent a group to Disneyland to take pictures of anything that inspired them artistically. even before reading the book I could see hints of previous Disney movies in it, but now that I know how they took used those movies for Tangled, I can see it even more! Absolutely spectacular!
Not only that, I got to know Rapunzel's character even more, and that just made me so happy :D

One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In my reviews I will give a rating and a reason for that rating.

       The Art of Tangled is a clean read (one mention of 'damn', though that is it)

      On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give The Art of Tangled a 4

No comments:

Post a Comment