Monday, August 12, 2013

The Mortal Instruments, book one - City of Bones

     I finished reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare last night. It was a slower read for me, taking three days to complete. I believe the main reason for the slow pace was because I couldn't get into it as easily as I did Divergent, by Veronica Roth, which I had just read right before starting City of Bones. The pace of the book was also slow, it covered a span of two to three weeks, almost day by day. But it was an enjoyable read, and I know that I will be reading the rest of the series, because the way she ended it. Oh. My. Gosh. My heart was broken.

     I really enjoyed the relationships the characters had with each other. They were all well developed except for Alec, I believe. All of the sudden out of the blue Clary (the main character) could tell Alec was gay? I didn't notice a thing, but then again I might just be a lot like Jace in this area and be blind to the hints of gay-ness or what have ye. It wasn't until after Clary discovered this that I began to notice that Alec, was indeed, gay. Maybe the glamour had been lift from my eyes in this case? Excepting the homosexuality, I still feel as if Alec's character isn't fully developed and clean as the other characters.

     Another thing about City of Bones that I really enjoyed was the fact that Clare kept the mythical creatures in the story true to their origins. Demons and vampires are destroyed in sunlight. She had a hierarchy of the mythical creatures, she knew what she was talking about when it came to magic/myths. She kept the creatures true to the story while still making them fresh and new and different. And the fact that werewolves can change at will doesn't bother me, because as is explained in the book at the beginning they have no control and change against their will at every full moon, but over time they learn to control it and only a strong full moon can force the more mature werewolves to change.
     Spectacular and refreshing compared to the mumbo jumbo that Twilight has brought upon the world of mythical and magical creatures.

     As for being the first book in the series, it was a good introduction. It got the ball rolling for the plot, introduced drama, and developed characters and relationships. Despite being a slow read, it got me interested and attached enough to the characters and plot to read the rest of the series.

     And let me rant before I end this review by saying.
     What. The. Heck.
     The actors they have for Jace and Clary in the up and coming Mortal Instruments movie... just, no. No. No. No.
     The End.



 One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In all my reviews I will mention general themes from the book, language, sexual/romantic interaction, and violence.

     Themes:
 Magic, mythical creatures, demons

       Language:
Light to light mild. Nothing dramatic

       Sexual/Romantic Interaction
Kissing. One of the characters is homosexual. Couple of mentions of sex and 'hot bods' and similar.

       Violence
Light heavy on the violence. Fights, death, kidnapping, killing. Magical fights. Describes blood and wounds in some detail.

      I would give City of Bones a rating of light to mild PG-13


      On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give City of Bones a 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment