Sunday, September 15, 2013

Raising your Children - A 'Thoughts' Post

     Being the bibliophile I am, on my facebook I like many different book related pages. While browsing I spotted that one of them had posted a quote from Ali Bin Abi Taleb, the cousin and son-in-law to the prophet Muhammad, and the first male to accept Islam. Here is the quote...


"Do not raise your children the way [your] parents raised you; they were born for a different time."

Objection, your honor!
Now, there are exceptions where one should not raise their children like their parents had raised them; for example if your father was a drunk who beat you, you should not be a drunk who beats your children. But to say that no one should raise their children like your parents did is untrue. I could not imagine raising my children in a way that differs from how my parents raised me, because how they raised me is timeless.

When you raise your children, you should not raise them according to the generations and times standards, but to the timeless standards. The timeless standards are morals and values that many young people today seem to lack or have no knowledge of. And where do you get these timeless values? The Bible, Christianity, the Church. My parents raised me to the standard of the Church, and I cannot imagine raising my children any other way. It works. It isn't old fashion, it is timeless. Generation after generation can apply these standards.

If your parents raised you according to the times, then yes, you should not do the same for your children.

But if your parents raised you according to the timeless, then no, you should not change it for your children!

No comments:

Post a Comment