Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Fellowship of the Ring

I am going to begin by saying after attempting to physically read the book multiple times and stopping because it was just so much to read, I got the audio book and started listening to it. I would listen to it as I drove, plugging it into the radio, to make the thirty minute drive into town more enjoyable. And if I was cleaning the house I'd put my headphones on and listen to it with my ipod. Next I am going to get The Two Towers so I can start listening to that :)

I also need to say that I am biased. I love the Lord of the Rings movies. I never did read the books before seeing the movie (probably because I was a little girl when the movies came out). But I always intended to. I read the Hobbit twice before the movie came out (and not because I jumped on the bandwagon. A few years before for fun and the year before for school). I actually found the Hobbit a much easier read than the Fellowship of the Ring.

Back on topic, though. I'm biased mostly in how I picture the characters (Viggo Mortensen is the PERFECT Aragorn. Really, all the actors have become the characters to me I cannot imagine them a different way.) But I think the one thing that really struck me as different from the book and the movies is Legolas.

I disliked Legolas in the book! I was not expecting that. They way they portray Legolas in the movies is so different from the book, at least to me. In the movie Legolas is amazing. In the book, he is just 'eh'.

I loved how much more Legolas and Gimli's friendship is developed in the book though. The movie failed in that regard, and I always loved Legolas and Gimli's friendship in the movie. The book was great in that respect :)

And Boromir. Woooooow. You really really get his character more in the book than the movie.

I definitely found the book an enjoyable read and hope to read it again in the future. People seem to say you either love or hate the book, and although I won't go around saying I loved the book, I did really like it.




 One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In all my reviews I will mention general themes from the book, language, sexual/romantic interaction, and violence.

     Themes:
  fantasy, adventure, magic

        Language:
   None.


        Sexual/Romantic Interaction
 None


        Violence
 Nothing real objectionable. It is fantasy, so there are some darker themes throughout, but nothing I believe a teenager would have trouble dealing with. 

       I would give The Fellowship of the Ring a rating of mild PG

      On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give The Fellowship of the Ring a 4

No comments:

Post a Comment