Friday, November 29, 2013

Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (Seriously, how awesome of a name is that? Is it her pen name or her actual name? If it is her actual name her parents were brilliant.). I actually don't know how to talk about this book. In a way it is similar to The Fault in our Stars by John Green. In all seriousness, Cath (the main character) is practically me. I say that is all seriousness. I was browsing the book store when I spotted the book and read the first page. How Cath reacted was exactly how I would react, if I had had the guts to even live on campus.

Rainbow is a brilliant story teller and writer. She got the whole fangirl down to the molecule. And the fanfiction? Brilliant. This is a unique and one of a kind book. If you understand at all what it feels like to become so immersed in a series (Harry Potter anyone?), to plaster you walls with it, make constant references to it, wear clothing about it. Any of the above, you will get this book.

And seeing the ways in which Cath grew in the book, it made me wonder in what ways I will grow, and in what ways I have grown, since I am so much like Cath.

This book is going right up there with The Fault in Our Stars. It is going to stay with me, it touched me in a unique way. And I love books that do that.




   One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In all my reviews I will mention general themes from the book, language, sexual/romantic interaction, and violence.

     Themes:
  coming of age, college, fangirling, relationships

        Language:
   Cursing throughout. Multiple F-Bombs (Probably around fifty tops)


        Sexual/Romantic Interaction
 College, and no religious values. Multiple references to sex, virginity, homosexuality, bodies, etc.


        Violence
 Not so much violence as crazy life violence. Drunkenness, mental issues, parental failings, etc. 

       I would give Fangirl a rating of mild PG-13, but if you really dislike language then I would rate this as a heavy PG-13 to Light R

      On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give Fangirl a 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment