Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Four Perfect Pebbles: A Holocaust Story

My local library had an event tonight. Marion Blumenthal Lazan, a Holocaust survivor, came to speak about her story as told in her memoir Four Perfect Pebbles: A Holocaust Story. Although Lila Perl wrote the book with background information, Marion and her mother, Ruth (who died last December, and lived to be almost 105 years old) gave many first hand accounts for the book (a majority of the book is made of quotes from Marion and her mother). The story is beautiful and inspiring. I really felt like I had just sat down and listened to my grandmother tell me a story of her childhood when I read it. It is worthy of a spot on your bookshelf.



And because I went to listen to Marion, I stayed to have her sign my copy of the book (which I had just got in the mail yesterday, and a good thing because they were sold out by the end of the event!).


"To Sara - With my Best Wishes. Marion B Lazan, November 2013"

I (*cough*mydad*cough*) had the courage to go over to her husband while we were listening and have him sign my book also :)


"Best Wishes, Nathaniel Lazan"




I don't say much when I meet authors/famous people, because that's just how I am (And I'm just excited to have the opportunity to see them in person and listen to them speak). But I made sure to thank her for sharing her story with me. She is a beautiful lady. I'm glad I got to meet her.

And it was nice because my daddy was with me, and my little brother got to hear most of her speech before he went to his class. I love being able to do things with my daddy. I will be sharing Marion's story with my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.

I love how she proceeded to share end her speech:

"We are the last generation [my generation] that will have 'direct contact' with the veterns of WWII and Holocaust survivors. It is our job to share their stories with our children and grand children and great grandchildren."

And that is why I buy books. Because when I die, my descendants won't just have my legacy, but the legacy of many others, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment