Friday, November 15, 2013

Recent Reads

I have a couple of books that I have read, but have decided not to do an individual post for because I procrastinated so long on them. The books are City of Ashes, the second book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and The Royal Ranger, the 12th (I think) book in a series that was suppose to have ended about a year ago! Leaving the library I was so excited after finding it.

First, City of Ashes. I started reading this book a couple of days after reading Mockingjay, to give myself a chance to get over the emotional trauma from that book. When I sat down and started it, page one I was relieved. Finally! A book written in third person! After reading so many books written in the first person recently, it was such a relief to finally have one in third person to read!

Plot wise, the whole thing is moving at a fairly fast pace, for the fact that each book so far has covered the span of a couple of weeks to a month of time, with some time change inbetween. I feel like it is all being well done, and I am looking forward to starting the next book.

I was especially in love with the character development of Jace in this book. I felt like this was his book to develop. Book one really gave you a chance to get introduced to the characters, and in book two those characters were expanded on, but I feel like Jace was the most. I really hope in the third book Cassandra Clare does more developing on Clary. Although the book is mostly from her point of view, you got to see it from many different angles (main reason I prefer third person writing to first person writing in books), and I thought she executed that well.

I would also give this book the same rating and warning as the first.

Now for The Royal Ranger, by John Flanagan. I love John Flanagan's writing, and his characters. I have gotten so attached to them all over this series and was so sad when it ended (hence my enjoyment when I found this new book!). It took me about a third of the book to get use to the time lapse and to picture the characters with their aged appearances, but it didn't bother me. I love the story for this book and thought he did a great job, as always, with the entire thing.

It is so easy for me to fall in love with the characters John Flanagan writes. And Will and Halt's witty and sarcastic personality is perfect. Sheer perfection. I laugh out loud while reading these books. And he does action/battle scenes amazingly. Add Will and Halt with those scenes and you have highly memorable books. They are serious, but light and funny. I adore them all, and just love love love love love them. I haven't read his 'spin-off' series with the Skandians, but I can't wait to start, because I love his writing so much. My only fear is that I won't love it as much as Ranger's Apprentice.

The ending of this book did leave it open for more in the series, but I hope John Flanagan leaves it as it is. I don't want to much of a bad thing, and I'm afraid that any more Ranger's Apprentice won't be good.




    One of the goals for this blog is to provide information for parents and readers alike to find 'clean' reads suitable for their children or themselves. In all my reviews I will mention general themes from the book, language, sexual/romantic interaction, and violence.

     Themes:
  Fantasy, medieval-esque, knights and kings

        Language:
  None

        Sexual/Romantic Interaction
   Married couples, and some romantic relationships, but none objectionable.

        Violence
  Murder, death, and some violence, but nothing too disturbing.

       I would give The Royal Ranger a rating of heavy PG

       On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = horrible, 2 = OK, 3 = I liked it, 4 = I really liked it, 5 = I loved it), I would give The Royal Ranger a 5

No comments:

Post a Comment