Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Blogtober #1 - The Iliad - A Thought's Post

(Wondering what 'Blogtober is? Take a look at my friends blog to find out! Click Me! )


     I am currently reading the ancient Homeric epic poem, The Iliad (Bit of a mouthful, isn't it?), for school. It is actually a fun read (Ancient poetry? Fun? Egasp!). I am only through book eight of the twenty-four book long poem, but decided to share some of my thoughts on it so far anyways.

 

This is my momma's book, see all her notes? They make me smile :)

Please note: These aren't thoroughly thought out thoughts that are highly philosophical. Most of them are written in modern day teen language.

Thought #1: Achillies is a big baby. He sits by his boat pouting after his fight with Agamemnon, because Agamemnon took his girl. Where is this 'brave, strong, god-like' Achillies the Achaians keep talking about? Pouting.

Thought #2: Hektor is a pretty cool dude. He cares a lot about his family and city, and seemed fairly humble up until book eight. In book eight it seems like he begins to get all 'mighty-er than thou' on us.

Thought #3: I feel sorry for Helen. She felt terrible for this war she has caused, and many times she wished she hadn't been born. She tried to convince Paris to go back to battle, to right his wrong of stealing her from her husband. It's sad that Helen was used as a prize in a contest between the goddesses.

Thought #4: Speaking of the goddesses, Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite seem to have a tendency to meddle with the lives of humans. Scratch that, all gods have a tendency to meddle with the lives of humans.

Thought #5: And Zeus can never make up his mind. First he lets the gods and goddesses have free reign in meddling with the war, then he forbids them to even think about meddling. And in book eight he makes Hera and Athena hate him. Tsk tsk, Zeus, you should know better than that.

So there are my thoughts so far. Be looking forward to a post everyday in the month of October! Then in November I hope to catalogue my journey in (finally) participating in NaNoWrMo (hopefully, maybe. I've been trying for two years to do this and have yet to even make it past week one). But that is why I have you guys, to keep me on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment