Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blogtober #5 - Valuing Yourself - A Thought's Post

     I watch a channel called 'Fun for Louis' (Lou-E) on YouTube. His videos are unique, enjoyable, and many times inspiring. I enjoy hearing what he has to say, and he recently posted a video titled Valuing Yourself.


     It is near the end when he gives his little heart-to-heart moment. He talks about the recent publicity stunts Miley Cyrus, former star of Disney's Hannah Montana, has preformed. From her raunchy VMA's performance, to a sexualized photo shoot. I really enjoyed what Louis had to say about these actions and how they are used by the media. Being an influence in the media now (with his YouTube videos), Louis felt grateful for the opportunity to have a different influence on these matters now. He makes me smile :)

     So now that we have the topic in place, let me share my thoughts. I find it very disheartening to see young (mostly female) celebrities sexualizing themselves and de-moralizing themselves in order to get attention. I can see how it works, you pull a stunt, people wonder what it is, they look it up, and then they are on the trail to see the rest of your work and get you money. But isn't there a better way to do it? Yes, I believe so. And so does Louis it seems.

     You don't have to make yourself an object or sexual toy. You don't have to cover your face in makeup or show off every bit of your skin without being naked in order to have people notice you. Working in retail I see the way women dress and the ones who act the happiest are the ones who dress the most modest. I think the greatest thing a women can wear in order to get noticed, is a smile. I have been complimented many times while working that I am always smiling, and it brightens the persons day (and them saying it brightens mine). It's not how you look that gets you noticed. It's how you behave and how you use your body to get you noticed. Use it like Miley Cyrus, and unfortunately your name comes with a bad connotation. Use your body modestly, and let your smile and actions speak louder than your appearances, and you will find yourself being happier.

     So what if the media says that using your body in a sexual way will get you more attention than using it in a modest way? Which will ultimately make you happier? Being the joke that people see as an object for fun? Or being the example that you don't have to do what the media says in order to be happy? Everyday I go against what the media says will make you happy. I dress modestly, I act respectful, I let my faith in God guide my actions. And I am truly happy.

     So value yourself! Challenge yourself! Dress modestly and smile all the time and see how different you feel about yourself. Think about what truly makes you happy. People viewing you as an object, or people viewing you has truly happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment